Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Interview with Jazz Musician Dub Glenn!


Musicians are Writers That Publicly Bare Their Souls!

Interview with Jazz Musician Dub Glenn

Written by: Jennifer L. Roche

 



 

I had the pleasure of listening to Dub Glenn play some soulful jazz music this past weekend.  His music repertoire covered everyone from Stevie Ray Vaughan to Jimi Hendrix.  Dub played guitar and sang solo, but it sounded as if a full band was behind him, due to his use of a midi keyboard sequencer.  The jazz music sounded unique, and created a pleasurable, soothing vibe among the audience.  He’s a passionate musician, whose love for music shines through in his impressive guitar riffs, and personality.  I sat down with Dub after his set to further discuss the unique blend he gives to his music, what keeps him playing show after show, and goals he has for his musical career in the future. 

 

Jennifer: Is Dub your real name or a stage name you created?

 

Dub: My actual name is Walter Glenn Jr., but growing up everyone called me W.B, from which Dub was born.

 

Jennifer: How long have you been playing instruments and performing?

 

Dub: I’ve been doing shows for 13 years.  I’ve played guitar since I was seven years old, I played organ at a young age as well, since there was an organ in my home growing up.  In grade school I learned to play trumpet, playing in the Blue Rock Drum and Bugle Corp. from the age of eleven.  The experience of being in the Blue Rock Drum and Bugle Corp. helped mold my thinking, and taught me discipline that I feel helped me become the musician I am today.  While in college, I taught breathing techniques and brass techniques to students to earn extra money. Music has always been part of my life!

 

Jennifer: What made you become interested in performing publically?

 

Dub: When my youngest son asked me to teach him the song “Stairway to Heaven”.  He mastered that song so well, that I realized I had better continue honing my craft so he didn’t get better than me!  Now I play music with my sons and they help supply the drum beats to music tracks for me.

 

Jennifer: What do you attribute your love of music to?

 

Dub:  Music allows you to release pent up feelings, and apply those emotions to the music you play.  The guitar as an instrument is incredibly expressive.  When I play in front of people, I am opening up my soul, baring myself to others through my music.  When creating good music you need to have passion.  You must play with passion!

 

Jennifer: I agree! In order to write well, you must have that same passion.  I noticed that you involve technology in your performances to create the sound of a band behind you.  What instruments can you play?

 

Dub: I can play guitar, keyboards, piano, brass, and organ.  I use a keyboard processor to record the other instruments you hear in the songs (piano, keyboard, horns, and strings).  I play these parts myself except for the drums which my sons play the tracks for.  I use a midi keyboard to get the other instrument sounds mixed into a song.  When I perform, I play guitar, sing, and use the midi sequencer with the previously recorded parts integrated into it. The end result is that it sounds like a full band is behind me!  

 

Jennifer: Who are your personal musical influences?

 

Dub: For brass I am influenced by Bill Chase of Chicago, Maynard Ferguson, and Blood, Sweat, and Tears.  For guitar influences I look to Gary Moore, Popa Chubby, Buddy Guy, Robert Cray, and Stevie Ray Vaughn.  My biggest influences in music currently are Stevie Ray Vaughn and Gary Moore.

 

Jennifer: How many songs have you written, and do you perform any of them at your shows?

 

Dub: I’ve written dozens of songs over the years including “Sound of a Full Band”, “Happy Anniversary to My Baby”, “Just for a Little While”, and “Everybody Loves My Baby”.  I perform four or five of my own songs during a show.

 

Jennifer: Do you have a song you consider your favorite?

 

Dub: My favorite song is called “Everybody Loves My Baby”.  It’s written about my wife.

 

 

Jennifer: Do you have any future goals that you wish to achieve with your music?

 

Dub: I’m not looking to become famous, I just want to have fun making music and perform for as long as I can. 

 

Jennifer: Sounds great!  Do you have any advice for aspiring musicians just starting out?

 

Dub: Don’t be too serious, have fun!  This is a hard business, and sometimes the best music doesn’t get noticed.  It’s about being in the right place at the right time.  It’s also important to give back to the music community, by helping those musicians that are starting out.  I have been mentoring a young girl since she was 13. She’s now 16, and has turned into a great musician!  It’s important to “pay it forward” by supporting others.

 

If you wish to learn more about Dub Glenn, or attend one of his performances, visit his site at: www.dubglenn.com

 

 

 



 

No comments: